Monday, February 28, 2011

Feb 28

Hello people I know.  In an effort to keep everyone in the loop, I will be putting updates about my dad on facebook regularly.  You special few, however, are not on facebook, so I will just copy and email them to you so that you can know what's going on as well.  Lucky you.  Here are the first two from Saturday and yesterday.  Enjoy.

Saturday:
 

Hey facebook people.  My mom thought it would be a good idea to give regular updates about my dad on facebook.  I know a lot of people have said to my mom, my sisters and me that they want to know what's going on, but they don't want to bug us.  We appreciate those loved ones in our lives who put forth a concerted effort not to bug.  Therefore, in an effort to return the favor and actually let you know what is going on, I'm going to write a little bit about how the padre is doing every now and again.

He was admitted to the hospital yesterday (which was also his 58th birthday - he's getting OLD).  They gave him his first and second dose of chemo yesterday and today, respectively.  For the time being he actually feels pretty good.  They said he probably won't get sick until the middle to end of next week.  They are also giving him a whole gaggle of other drugs and what not to go along with the chemo.  I would tell you more about them, but I have no idea what most of them are.  Anti-nausea and the like.  I have no idea how to spell nausea.  I believe his biggest problem today is boredom.  He's not allowed to leave his room unless he gets all suited up with a gown and mask and the whole shabang, and he can't even leave the door open, so there is a distict possibility he might go stir-crazy.  Luckily, he has some awesome daughters who give equally awesome birthday gifts, so he does have every John Wayne movie every made and a complete season of Two and a Half Men to take up his time.

His head doctor's name is Birgitta Mitchell and it has been immensely entertaining to listen to my dad try to figure out how to say Birgitta.  He finally got it today.  If only he had spent more time watching The Sound of Music with us when we were younger, it would have slipped right off his tongue.  A lot of people have asked about visitors.  Well, knowing my dad as you do, I'm sure you realize that lots of people wanting to talk to him isn't exactly at the top of his wish list.  It's pretty limitted who can go in, so until further notice, I wouldn't plan on it.  He does have his cell phone with him, so you are welcome to try and call him.  "Try" is the operative word there.  He rarely answers.  Don't take it personal.  He doesn't answer when we call either.

I think that's about it for now.  Thanks so much for all the love, prayers, fasting, thoughtfullness and all around good stuff you all do.  We appreciate it lots. 

Sunday:

Did you guys know that one of the side effects of chemo is really bad hiccups?  Weird, right?  So that's what's going on with my dad today.  Also, did you know that there are people whose calling it is to just visit sick people?  They have these super nice couples that bring in the sacrament every Sunday too.  This morning when they came my dad had them give him a blessing because he starts the transfusions tomorrow.  To be very techincal about it - they have now killed all the bad junk out of him and so tomorrow morning they will start putting the healthy junk back in him.  He's still feeling pretty good, but they are guessing that he'll start getting sick soonish.  I think that's about it, medical-wise.  Side note, his first question every day for me is "How are the animals doing?"  so if you want to be helpful, perhaps you could remind me to feed the fish.  I'm in charge of the emus and the fishtank while he's gone, and if, when  he comes home in three weeks,they are all dead, I'm in big trouble.