Thursday, March 10, 2011

We’ve made a very interesting discovery about my dad the last few days.  I think it’s safe to say that my dad has never been described by anyone as dramatic, or any of its synonyms.  In fact, I believe both my parents are more easily associated with more mild words, like stoic or reserved.  And in my dad’s case definitely reticent.  Although, those things are not to be confused with boring.  This obviously gives rise to the question of how they managed to produce five daughters who are not at all acquainted with reticence.   Not to mention the mystery of where the singular theatricality that is Sarah spawned from.  This state of being seems to be marginally shifting, because when it comes to my dad’s condition, his outlook might actually be considered to be exaggerated, or even (dare I say it) slightly dramatic.  For example, the horrible arm pain he has been having for the last few days.  According to my dad it is referred pain from a serious liver problem.  According to the doctor, it’s probably just a reaction to something they have given him and will be fine in a day or two.  Now, the fact that they did actually do an ultrasound on his liver indicates that the truth is somewhere in between.  But that isn’t the first time my dad’s explanation for things has come out quite different from the doctor’s explanation.  I find the whole thing a little fascinating. 
Besides all the liver shenanigans, it’s been pretty much same old.  They did give him is first platelet transfusion the other day.  The fact that they didn’t have to do it until then is a good sign.  My mom talked to the doctor again last night and she really is pleased with how he’s doing.  Let’s all pray that things keep going how they are, and then he will most likely be home by the end of next week.  And he still has his hair.  He’s a very happy guy about that.  They say that most of the symptoms from chemo manifest themselves between 6 and 10 days after, and today is day 10.  I’m not going to hold my breath on him keeping his hair, but I think he is.  So many interesting things we’ve learned this year that we never wanted to know. 
Shout out to the good fellows of our ward who offered to come and trim our fruit trees.  You have saved me from having to do with only Ryan for help.  I’m much obliged.  As is my dad, who was a little worried about letting me use his chain saw.  Although, for the record, I am a master with a chain saw.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment